Thursday 30 April 2009

A story of a box of instant cake mix

I went for groceries shopping at Everwin yesterday with my 3+ years old niece. As usual, I put her inside the trolley and push her around. When we passed by the baking and confectionary section, my niece saw a beautiful cake box and she put it inside the trolley.


Val: Gugu, I want this.

Me: This is not a ready made cake. We go and buy ready made one.

Val: Don’t want. I want this.


She put the box into the trolley. I pushed her to another section and showed her the ready made cakes like Apollo layer cake.


Me: Gugu buy this for val, ok? This is ready made one.

Val: Don’t want. This is nicer. (although she hasn’t try it before.. maybe because the picture of the cake attracted her)


At the end, we bought this instant cake mix. I couldn’t persuade her to change her mind.

At home, my mum asked me why I bought this instant cake mix.


Mum: Why do u buy this instant cake mix?

Me: Val wants it.

Mum: Maybe she thought it’s a ready made cake.


So, I opened the box and showed my niece that there was no cake inside the box except the flour and batter.


Me: U see, Val… There is no cake inside. Only got these (I showed her the flour and batter)

Val: (without hesitation) Gugu makes the cake lo.


Even small kid knows that it’s a instant cake mix. Never thought that small kids don’t know anything. Kids are smarter nowadays. So, last night I baked the cake for her. This is my first time trying out this instant cake mix. It turned out fine – soft and fluffy but a bit too sweet for me. I got add extra coffee + milo to make it look like a marble cake.






(altho it's called pandan cake but not greenish enough)

1 comment:

Josephine said...

wow... she's really smart! Luckily my gal never asked me to buy cake, she only loves candy!